Tuesday, November 6, 2012

My Hurricane Sandy Dresser

Hope all of you are well. For those of you that don't know, I'm a Jersey Girl and we have all been through one hell of a week. Life is back to normal for me after losing power for 5 days, a picnic in the park compared to so many hit hard by Hurricane Sandy. Life as they knew it will never be the same again. I'm 20 miles from the worst hit areas and the beaches that I spent vacationing at as a child and then bringing my own family there to do the same. It just makes me so sad.

 You have no idea how much I missed painting during this short time, never mind the heat and hot water. Hey, did you know you can brew coffee by boiling water on the stove and pouring through your coffee maker? Just a little FYI that might come in handy some day. 


When the power came back I took to sanding this beautiful dresser that was given to me ironically from a woman who lives on the bay in a town which was described by my boyfriend as a "war zone". She however was lucky w/ minimal damage.

 It was a great piece to work on. In excellent shape. I sanded the top down w/ my orbital and 80 grit sandpaper followed by 150 and then 400. Stained it w/ Minwax Provincial. Mixed up some ASCP Louis Blue and Paris Gray and accented w/ Old White. A little clear wax and buffed to a soft sheen. 

Isn't she pretty now?
                                                                             



Thanks for popping in! Now off to watch the election results. Hope you all took the time to vote today.

Linking up here...







 


Primitive and Proper

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It turned out gorgeous -
and so happy to hear life has returned back to normal for you
xxx

Cassie Bustamante said...

the dresser looks beautiful, but more importantly, you are safe!!! so glad to hear it.

Katy said...

so glad you are ok Sue!!

Unknown said...

I like the color you got from mixing the two. I also like how you detailed it with the white. Great job.

Peggy @ southscapedesigns.com

Rachel said...

What a beautiful piece! It turned out great!!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh she's really a beauty! Glad you are okay. The devastation makes me sad too - people's lives changed forever!